Have you dreamed of owning a gourmet store? Do you know that this business can generate good profits? That is true, however, you should know well where you stand, because achieving success in this business is not easy, but once you achieve it brings satisfactions.
The key to success in this business is to know the tastes of your customers and to anticipate your changes, in short, to meet your expectations. Remember that what often drives the type of consumer who buys in these stores is the need to feel different from others.
Description of the market for your gourmet store
The gourmet store is a business that is characterized in selling products to elaborate gastronomy of high invoice and that are difficult to obtain in a supermarket. It can be cheeses, spices, oils, special cuts of meat, sweets, etc.
Who is your competition?
The traditional gourmet shop is characterized by original products, handmade, high quality and hardly found in supermarkets. These stores will represent your direct competition.
Your other competitor is the department stores that have a section for “delicates”.
A competition more distant from your gourmet store, but necessary to pay attention, are the supermarkets that offer alternative products to those that you are going to offer
So how to differentiate yourself:
- You can specialize in offering products of a specific culture, such as Asian, European, Latin American, etc.
- Locate your gourmet store in a place unattended by the competition.
- It offers special gourmet products for tourists interested in local gastronomy.
- Be unpublished. Try to offer products that are marketed for the first time.
- It offers home delivery service.
- Simultaneously open an online store.
For a good table, start a gourmet store
Your potential customers
You have a very interesting potential clientele:
- Buyers of gourmet products: generally men between 30 and 50 years old, with high purchasing power, preference for quality food and demanding tastes.
- Consumers of natural products, healthy and ecologically sustainable: mostly women aged 25 to 45, middle-upper class, concerned about improving their health and appearance.
- People who invite family or friends to an evening at home and want to show off with quality food.
- Tourists interested in getting to know selected gastronomy and the world.
Something they have in common is that they are a select group who are willing to pay whatever it takes to get the products that your gourmet store sells. Then, focus your strategies on winning your customers.
Do you want to start your gourmet store? Let’s do it!
I’ll offer you a list of things to do to get started with your business:
- Investigate the sanitary permits you need to market with food.
- Physically locate the store in a medium-high area. The size of the premises should be in line with your budget and make sure you have an area for the warehouse.
- Acquire furniture (display cabinets, counter, display furniture) of wood to display the products.
- Acquire specialized equipment to store food: cold rooms, weight, etc.
Think of an attractive and quality initial stock . Remember it’s not so much about quantity, but about quality.
- Invest in packaging and bags to show a good presentation.
- Decorate the space according to the type of products you offer.
- Use marketing to position yourself in the market.
In a gourmet store, quality is better than quantity