Social Media Listening is a relatively new concept that is revolutionizing the use of social networks and analyzing the data they shed daily…
Much has been said about the need to find new ways to conduct market less invasive manner in order to minimize bias in the actions and responses of the public, and consequently more successful results in the processes of data collection, analysis and synthesis.
Basic study techniques such as surveys, in-depth interviews or focus group , constantly affected by psychological phenomena such as reactivity, which refers to an alteration in the behavior of people, when they suspect or are aware that they are being observed.
Now, imagine having access to a database of more than 2,000 million people, and get to know each comment to make about your brand, company or campaign. This is what provides the Social Media Listening or Social Listening, a process which in recent years has become a key weapon to know in more detail the thoughts and opinions of people in the digital environment.
Digital Research and Social Media Listening
Since the birth of social networking forms of interaction between people have become so have opened the door to the creation of new processes and tools that make digital investigation a reality Social Listening and one of its main assets.
What does it consist of?
It is the process of social media monitoring that identifies comments, discussions, opinions, preferences and user data, potential customers, competitors or industry leaders in order to measure the performance of a brand, product or organization, according what people say about them.
Being a fully digital process, the barrier between the observer and the target audience is reduced and gives way to a point where people are shown as they are in the online environment, in most times, and therefore under proper collection and proper analysis, the data become more accurate.
How to run a successful monitoring networks?
According to Maria Ogneva, Director of Social Media at Attensity, here are some steps to consider to make a network monitoring effectively.
- Identify a clear objective: one must know the reason is to make the Social Listening, for example, can be done to make negative comments about a brand, to identify potential customers and uses that people are giving the product.
- Select where monitoring: identify which social platforms interact more the target audience. Knowing this will give you an idea of what it should monitor social network.
- Determine what to monitor: because the tools and process generally focuses largely to the recognition of keywords, which must take into account that these are the best associate the issue to be investigated.
- Deciding who to listen : it is important to select who you want to monitor. This depends on the purpose of the study and serve to make the process less complex. Some of the profiles that monitor manufacturers are often consumers, influencers, industry leaders, competitors, among others.
- Select the right tools: once you have identified where it will monitor and profiles that are going to follow up, you should choose the tool that suits your needs. For example, there are platforms created exclusively for certain types of social networks; a focus on following up conversations in different languages, others offer the user the possibility to acquire a version premium and some have the ability to perform either a quantitative analysis and qualitative.
- Prioritize: as the number of conversations that arise in social networks is usually high, it is essential to focus only on those factors that are really important to the study, for example, if you are looking to know the percentage of users who are not comply with a mark shall only take into account the negative comments on social network being analyzed.
- Develop a plan to have a plan that responds to the different situations that a brand can cross during the monitoring process, it is essential to anticipate the different attitudes of the people that he makes up.
- Involving others: the wealth of information generated by social networks should reach the right people in the organization. For this it is important to ensure that certain sections of the different company to the Content Manager can access these data, in this way users get an efficient response to their requests.
- Listen first: before interacting with people, pay attention to what they say, how they relate to other individuals and how they are affected by the behavior of other users with greater influence.
Tools for every need
These are the main features of some tools that are currently available on the market.
This tool can be accessed free of charge, however, a version premium that allows users to obtain analytical reports. Among its main features stands the ability to add lookup columns according to the research topic and the social network you want to monitor.
is the pioneer in social media monitoring tool. Quickly track comments, questions, complaints on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and blogs, among others, and facilitates the forwarding of this data to the staff of the company that applies.
is ideal for social media monitoring in the music industry. This tool provides the ability to view a preview of the performance of artists in different platforms like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, among others, and analyzes the views and music downloads, the demographics of the followers, and their feelings. Also gathers all information on ‘likes’ and comments in a report easy to understand.
some of the brands that use this tool are Pepsico, Pandora and Seat. Its main advantage is that it offers the option of going beyond monitoring to take appropriate action on certain comments of people, for example, if a client organization has a complaint or request, Brandwatch alert the appropriate team to meet this.
What to expect from Social Listening in the coming years?
Since it is a relatively new term, there are several challenges that will face Social Media Listening to be considered an essential process in companies. One of the issues to consider is the creation of new tools that give equal importance to cluster analysis and the semantic, that is, to go beyond recognizing those keywords and for understanding the meaning and intent behind them in a given context; in this way you will have access to a deeper vision of comments and due to better insights.
However, for this to happen analysts social networks should be aware that the number of followers and ‘likes’ does not necessarily determine the successful performance of a social platform, since it is the qualitative analysis which gives value to these figures. In that vein, the other challenge of those doing the monitoring of social networks is effectively convey this information to those customers who usually are often based solely on the measurement of quantitative data.
Social Media Listening, seen as a process of research, innovative and useful is when weapon effectively measure the levels of loyalty and engagement of people. It reveals in detail the thoughts and comments that may lead to anticipation of potential crises and new market opportunities, and creating custom strategies that facilitate rapprochement between brand and user.
For this, it is critical that those conducting this activity integrate both monitoring and measuring the process of Social Listening. The first provides an understanding of the thoughts and ideas of the public about the brand and the second will be useful for calculating this performance social networks in terms of statistical data and achieve respective make comparisons with the competition.
Tools of the Trade, Social Media Listening, social media listening tools, social media listening strategy, social media listening platforms, best social media listening tools, social media listening tools free, good social media listening, social media listening measurement and engagement primer,