SEO is a complex discipline that requires knowledge and time to get results, but that should not be an excuse to ignore your startup and miss the opportunity to get free traffic from search engines. In the picture below you can see all the parts of an SEO strategy. The secret is to start from a solid base and grow:
Remember that the goal of SEO is that you are and for this you have positioned the best show possible for the terms that define your business. The process that Google is as follows:
- Crawling: Google bot discovers a new website. Normally jump from one website to another through links, either on a website or on social networks.
- Indexing: once the new website discovered stored in the index to display when a user makes a related search.
- Ranking: depending on the relevance and authority that has the web appear better or worse positioned.
If you want to build a strong presence in the search engines, then you can find some basic tips to implement in your page done today:
Content is king
Google reward quality content and publishing new content on a regular basis. Create unique, original and optimized content for each keyword.
Discover the keywords that describe your product
The first step in starting an SEO strategy is to make an investigation of the most important keywords for the product / service offered.
- Use the free Google tool to find the best keywords for your business:http://adwords.google.es/o/Targeting/Explorer
- Select the keywords that best describe your products. For every page, you must select a primary and a secondary keyword.
- Choose keywords that best describes the product or having fewer searches.The more generic are, the harder it will get conversions.
- Consider the competition. Search keywords that have less competition and a sufficient volume of search.
Optimize your web
Once selected keywords, the next step is to optimize each page of our website to gain relevance in the eyes of search engines and can appear in search results when a user searches for those keywords:
- On each page, you should place your keywords in title, H1, content, alt tags, URL and meta descriptions
- Keep the title under 60 characters. If longer the search engines do not show completely.
- This is a recommended format for your titles: Main Keyword – Keyword secondary – Brand
- Try to put your primary keyword as close to the beginning of the title as possible. Search engines will give more importance.
- Make each title and meta description of your site unique.
- Compose your meta description attracting clicks in search results. Search engines do not take into account but for users hook means to do or not click.
- The meta description must be 160 characters or less . That’s what the search engines display.
- Google Webmaster Tools can help you find duplicate meta descriptions and titles on your website.
- Use a single <h1> </ h1> and place your main keyword in it
- List the main and sub 3 or 4 times in the text keywords.
- Use synonyms of keywords that you have chosen in the main text.
- Try to use bold to highlight the most important keywords.
- Make sure every page has at least 500 words of content for the search engines find it relevant.
- The content of each page must be original and of quality. If you copy content from other pages the search engines what position they will never arrive for visits.
- Avoid text within images. Search engines can not read what is inside them and will not be indexed.
- Adds an attribute ALT to your images with keywords.
- If your logo points to the home page, make sure the ALT is the keyword for which you want to position the home.
- Search engines can not read Flash. Therefore, do not use for navigation or for web content.
- Avoid URLs too long, with unnecessary parameters and session IDs.Las complex URLs do not help or visitors or search engines.
- Use hyphens (midominio.com/pagina-producto) and not lower bars (midominio.com/pagina_producto) to build your URLs
- The extension of the URL (.html, .php, .asp, etc.) has no impact on SEO.
- Link internal pages that are relevant to the content of the page from which you link. You will help search engines and visitors find content.
- Google recommends less than 100 outbound links per page.
- Links to external sources if they are useful for visitors.
- Keep your code clean and error free website for search engines to understand it better. You can use this tool to find errors: http://validator.w3.org
- Make sure that the search engines do not think you have two homepages on midominio.com and www.midominio.com. Decide which of the two and use a 301 redirect the other.
- The best time to start optimizing a website is prior to launch, in the development phase. The second best time is now.
For the web, generating links that point to your website must be a secondary priority. The important is:
- Optimize the web.
- Cubertura possible to achieve the greatest media and blogs.
- Establishing a successful social media strategy.
- Performing sector studies and send them to the mainstream media and blogs that might be interested.
- Create an infographic.
- Write a post with “X X most influential experts on Twitter Sector”. Creates a badge that you can copy and paste into your websites and contact them one by one to let them know they have been included and that the badge can do that.
- Organize contests in which participants have to share a tweet or post to their blogs. Encourages this with some gift or sweepstakes.
- Offer to write for other websites for free in exchange for that you can link to your domain.
To achieve good position not only sufficient to make a good study of keywords, optimize web and get links. We must also show the way and make it easier for search engines to find our content and indicate them what should not be indexed:
- Each time you publish a new page or post, share it on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, and within minutes you will be indexed in Google.
- To know if a site is indexed in Google search: site: http: //www.tuweb.com
- Any web must have a robots.txt to restrict access to areas that should not be indexed.
- The robots.txt must have a link to sitemap.xml (check yours at http://yoursite.com/robots.txt )
- Have a sitemap.html sitemap.xml for visitors and for search engines.
- Check if the elements of your website are visible and indexable with http://SEO-browser.com
Design: the code is not everything
After all the effort in getting organic visits, the next step is to get these visits come to perform the desired action, either to buy, subscribe, request a quote, etc. For that reason it is important that when the tour reaches the page does not hold back:
- Invest in a good design, clean and professional. Do not throw away all the work position with a bad design that makes visitors from leaving immediately.
- The web does not have to be a work of art, it must be functional : positioning in search engines, build trust and achieve conversions.
- Use http://ipadpeek.com to check how your website looks on an iPad
- If you want a font style for your website, look at Google Fonts ->http://www.google.com/webfont
It measures everything that happens: Web Analytics
What is not measured can not be managed and least improve:
- Use Google Analytics to web analytics. It’s free and easy to implement.
- Watch the bounce rate (the% of people who come to your website and immediately leave), the average time on the page and the number of pages per visit: the worse these metrics are worse valued visitors to your page.
- Analyzes the origin of the traffic: search engine (paid and organic), reference (from other sites) and direct (directly written your domain in the browser).
- Monitors the evolution of organic traffic to measure the success of the SEO strategy.
- Sets goals in Google Analytics to measure the number of conversions and the rate of conversion .
- Improved loading times are proven to increase conversions.
SEO Urban Legends
Keep in mind that much of the information available on the Internet about SEO is outdated or based on urban legends. Therefore, we’ve compiled some of the main myths that do not fall into them:
- No SEO specialist can promise rankings. It is simply beyond their control. Flee from those who do.
- SEO is a one time thing. False! Google changes the algorithm every day of the year.
- The Pagerank and the positioning of a website are not directly related. Google uses PageRank only to know how often it is to return to a page.
- Since 2001 it is not necessary or required to manually send a new website to search engines, indexed alone. You do not sell “high in search engines.”
- Investing in Adwords will not make you appear better in the organic results.
- The SEO is dead! False. The truth is that is always changing and increasingly is influenced by social factors.