How a search engine works? An explanation in 3 steps

319
How a search engine works? An explanation in 3 steps | tinobusiness
How a search engine works? An explanation in 3 steps | tinobusiness

Every day more than 415 billion searches occur on Google. What happens behind a search engine when looking for something on the net? These three components will help you understand it better.

When a person uses a search engine to resolve a concern, either on Google, Yahoo! or Bing – to name the most popular – hundreds of millions of virtual interactions occur internally to find a response in seconds.

These are the three basic functions that define the operation:

1. Crawling


How a search engine works? An explanation in 3 steps | tinobusinessThe  crawlers  or web spiders are software robots that handle trace files and browse hundreds of billions of pages found on the Web. Usually this is determined by tracking the keywords that make the searches of search engine users, a factor that varies second by second: according to Moz, only  30% of searches  performed on search engines like Google, Bing or Yahoo! corresponds a generic words and phrases. The remaining 70% are usually random.

2. Indexing


How a search engine works? An explanation in 3 steps | tinobusinessAfter the screening process, search engines decoded, sorted and stored each of the files found in different ‘virtual warehouse’, which are sorted according to key words and phrases that define them, so that when a person perform a search engine can instantly find the information corresponding to it.

3. Ranking


How a search engine works? An explanation in 3 steps | tinobusinessOnce the information indexed, the search is responsible for evaluating the content, structure and other factors – publication date, number and duration of visits, number of backlinks (links to external reference), origin of those backlinks, among others – each of the stored files to determine its relevance. According to this assessment the search engine gives it an  order of importance  to each of the files found, so that when a user performs a search to find the best results ever.

is strongly seasoned and hard-working Graphic Designer with extraordinary creative thinking and project design abilities. With 7 years experience in print and digital, including art direction, web/mobile design and consultation, illustration, packaging and copywriting/editing for clients in fashion, pharmaceutical, furniture, automotive, food & beverage, design, hospitality, financial, broadcast and NGO. I love sharing ideas and writing articles.

2 COMMENTS

Leave a Reply