Much has been said and written on marketing and content, its effectiveness and its advantages, and we’re talking about one of the online marketing strategies that has gained popularity in recent years.
Not long ago I argued with one of my past clients who told me flatly that content marketing does not work; I had tried and had not performed well yet and having been generating content for their blog for over a year.
I found it hard to believe but I decided not to draw conclusions until you’ll see what they had been doing throughout this year and what kind of content they had created.
By analyzing the type of content that have been creating so far I realized that anything they call content marketing.
WHAT IS CONTENT MARKETING?
Content marketing is an online marketing strategy which aims to create and publish content that appeal to your prospect and may generate interest and giving it a real value. It is based on creating content that make your buyers are smarter and even connect with them emotionally.
And this is where the first mistake.
Many companies have already become clear to them that it is a bad strategy to focus on generating content themselves forgetting their potential customers. Indeed content marketing is the art of communicating with your customers and prospects without selling them, as indicated Joe Pulizzi in his book ” Epic Content Marketing “. But still some companies think that creating content of any kind and is doing content marketing. This is post for posting.
If we do not define correctly the type of audience we want to attract, and set targets for each publication, an editorial plan and work; we are only creating content, but make it clear that we are not doing content marketing.
It is important to understand that content marketing is focused on the customer, which we will have to bring you relevant content that will fit what you need.
WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF CONTENT MARKETING?
The benefits of content marketing are many, like the multiple objectives pursued.
Perhaps the most typical is to generate traffic created content positioning in search engines and go organically increasing the number of visits to a website.
But through content marketing you can hit more targets. Here are some of them:
- Brand awareness
- Attracting new customers
- Lead generation
- Customer retention
- Increase engagement
- Or even increase sales
The content that we create are very varied and we always think first which ones make the most sense to believe and publish according to our business objectives.
Some of the content we can create are:
- Articles for a blog
- A newsletter
- Case Studies
- Mobile Applications
- Presentations or slides
- Podcasts (one of my favorite types of content for obvious reasons)
THE VARIOUS CHANNELS FOR MARKETING CONTENT
From my point of view, without a website or blog content marketing does not make sense. Yes, you can work your presence at any social network and do it very well: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, and you can even make partnerships with bloggers that allow you to post on their pages, or you could publish content to a famous website in the sector in which you have activity, but not you let there be “borrowed”.
You can not leave it outside as this is an important part of your business.
And having many fans and followers on social networks is fine, but that will not generate business. However owning a website or blog in which to make capture leads, with whom you can talk whenever you want, without limitations of scope (to reach your entire database of contacts) or without having to pay to reach them (as in Facebook), makes it mandatory and absolutely necessary to have a website or blog.
That said, the typical channels where you could promote your content are:
- Web or Blog
- Other social networks
THE MAIN ERRORS IN THE CONTENT MARKETING
I commented at the beginning of this article that many companies have not yet clear how to create content, confusing themselves on why to create that content and how. Perhaps they misinformed commit certain typical errors that can be summarized as:
- Lack of consistency in content creation: maybe this one of the points where many companies fail, and is closely linked to not having an editorial calendar to control publications and types of content. If someone points to a weekly newsletter, expects to receive an email each week. If a web or blog promises to publish every day, you will not expect less. Likewise if we decide to work with a Youtube channel, it would be that we were constant.
- Useless content: the most important error and that probably makes a difference, and to publish content between content marketing is the need to properly define specific content covered and what value it brings to the user.
- Content focused on selling only: this type of content do not add value to our users, or spread in social networks, and cover any specific need of our visits, so that they become useless content. People want to connect emotionally with companies and with such content do not achieve this goal.
- Low-quality content: I once read that Pat Flynn of the Smart Passive Income commented that sought to free content on website generated was of the highest quality, even better than their paid content. That creates a very good effect on our audience thinking “if free content is good, how will it be paid content.” Our goal is to share the best content in our sector to become a reference.
HOW TO START WORKING ON YOUR CONTENT MARKETING STRATEGY
Finally, if we want to perform a successful content strategy, we should take the following steps:
- Clearly define who we want to be, who our potential customer and our ideal customer. This is one of the most important parts because we outline very clearly what kind of profile we want to attract to the content that we will generate. Define your buyer person or avatars will make you generate content perfectly with them.
- Marking goals we want to achieve generating and publishing this content. Generate leads, drive traffic to our website, create brand, acquire new customers, generate new sales, the loyalty of our customers by providing them with material of interest and of value or even try to gain authority in our market are just some of the goals that we set ourselves with content marketing.
- Knowing what channels is our potential customer and develop a strategy to achieve it.
- We plan publications in which channels, content types and how often (creating an editorial plan)
- And finally measured. Measure is a key part because we must consider whether the actions of the strategy and our plan is working well or not. The conclusions that we draw will help us to change the strategy and see if we modify it or else we are doing well and stick with it. Here are some KPI could be that we have generated traffic, the number of potential customers, sales, social interaction or conversion.
SOME LINKS OF INTEREST
Here are some references that I want to share with you and I consider essential to end to understand content marketing sources.
- Epic Content Marketing. This is a book of Joe Pulizzi which for me is one of the best books ever written on this subject is. Also the most complete. An indispensable book in my library and one of my favorites.
|Epic Content Marketing: How to Tell a Different Story, Break through the Clutter, and Win More Customers by Marketing Less||$16.46|
- The Advanced Guide to the Content Marketing. Surely the best article or guide has been written about content marketing. It is in English, as the vast majority of good articles. It is a guide of 10 chapters compuestísima not quite understand how you can be free. Fully recommended.
|Advanced Guide to Information Marketing: Multiply Your Profits by Repurposing Content (Infomarketing Success Guides Book 5)
Kindle Store: See all 2 items
- Content Rules, book Ann Handley and CC Chapman. Good book that explains how to create blogs, podcasts, videos, ebooks, webinars and other types of content to increase engagement with your customers.
|Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
I hope you enjoyed this article is a bit longer than I usually publish normally, but that I wanted to write for some time.
What do you think?