One of the biggest headaches of all entrepreneurs is choosing the right name for your business. It is a complex, difficult task that requires a lot of creativity. Furthermore, if this were not enough, the success or failure of the business may depend largely on the choice.
Therefore, after reading several of the main authors we have created a checklist with some of the best tips to consider:
Nuemeier Marty (Author of The Brand Gap)
Between Business Strategy and Design
1. Differentiation : sound unlike other brands in the same category?
2. Brevity : is short enough to be easily remembered and pronounced? Why would not it become an acronym?
- Tip : Choose a name that does not exceed three syllables, 4 maximum.
3. Appropriate : the name is appropriate for the type of company and the market?
5. pronunciation and writing : is it easy to pronounce and spell? How it sounds in Spanish? And in English? What about other languages?
- Tip : ask a native read and hear how it is pronounced.
6. Nice : people enjoy using and pronouncing the name? sounds good? ¿Like?
7. Protection : you can register the brand? Is the domain and profiles on social networks available?
- Tip : GoDaddy.com used to check domain availability and namecheckr.com for social networks.
Guy Kawasaki (Author of ” The Art of the Start “)
8. The name must start with a letter that is the beginning of the alphabet.
9. Avoid names that start with Y, X or Z
10. Choose a name that has potential to become a verb (Google).
11. Make it sound and is different : Claris. Clarin. Claria. Clarium. Clarins. Clarinex, etc all sound the same and are in the same category.
12. Do not be carried away by trends , think long term. Think twice before calling your company as the domain.
Other tips to keep in mind
13. Do not use generic names that describe your product or service (eg pets.com, you can never build a brand and differentiate.
14. Do not just from the beginning with geographical references or product what if the company opens new offices in another country or region? Or if you decide to open a new business line or swing?
15. Memorability : Is it easy to remember ?. Although we have put the last one, this is one of the most important and from
16. Choose a website domain : You need a website for your business and your domain name tells a lot.
Read More here: 12 tools for selecting the perfect name for your company
- Tip : You Say to rename your friends and acquaintances and ask them a week later if you remember.
Think of some of the major brands that come to mind and these analyzes each with 15 points, how many are true? What else do you think must be taken into account when choosing your brand?